Category Archives: Gestational Diabetes
- When asked to show up early to fill out paperwork for a class that starts at 2:30pm, show up at 2:27pm.
- Conveniently run out of test strips during the class.
- After conveniently running out of test strips, have your sugar crash.
- When the instructor notices that you’ve suddenly started sweating, shaking, and breathing hard and asks you if you are ok, completely burst into tears and wail “I DON’T KNOW!”
- Borrow another test strip from a fellow student and show the teacher your ridiculously low score, sending her into a fury getting you both glucose tablets and a glucose drink.
- Allow the teacher and the class to discuss everything you ate for the last 24 hours and discover that you have completely failed to have anything resembling a normal carbohydrate intake. Green beans, despite the fact that I’ve eaten a ton of them, are not carbs.
The class was very informative and it helped me to see that I need to eat more and more often. To combat yesterday’s problem, I brought my appropriate snack bag.
>Today, I took and failed my second Gestational Diabetes test. I have officially been diagnosed as having Gestational Diabetes. I’m not terribly worried about it because it’s totally manageable and I’ll only have it until our son is born a few months from now.
Sadia and I were discussing whether is was too soon to blame things on my blood sugar, since I had just tripped and nearly flung myself across the office. We were just joking around, but then she joked that my husband gave me Diabetes. I laughed, but the mail person who was standing there looked at me, in all seriousness, and said that it was totally possible. His face was so serious. I stood there for a moment, mouth agape, and realized he wasn’t joking. I laughed and gently told him that it’s not contagious.
It really reminded me of all the misconceptions people have. Not just about medical issues, but about the world at large. (For instance, I know people who honestly believe you can get AIDS from a toilet seat or living with a gay person.)