I Ruffle Feathers.
I’ll be honest. I piss people off.
I know I do. I’m what my son calls a geek/nerd. I love technology. I am anti-social. I like Star Trek, Star Wars, star things of all varieties, Hobbits, Elves, Orcs, Fantasy, and even what my husband calls “funny talkin’ British” doctors.
I used to think I was conservative, but I was wrong. I ain’t even close. (I’m so not conservative that I had to use the word “ain’t” to tell you that.) I am an unapologetic Obama lover/supporter. I believe that he believes the same things that I do.
I’ve said all this because in my family this stuff is weird and not acceptable. Recently, it has come to my brain through a series of events and a snide comment from a family member that my family NEEDS me. They need me to be open, honest, and vocal about what I believe. When they are blatantly homophobic I have no choice but to educate them. In the future there will be homosexual members of our family and they will need love and support. They do not need hateful comments about pedophilia and going to Hell.
I’ve been quiet about it in the past because I didn’t want to make waves. However, it might have been cowardice. I have never seen such severe homophobia in the world as I do with my own family. I doubt that the majority of my family has ever had a close friend who was gay. Here’s what I want them to know:
- You do not choose to be gay. I didn’t choose to be straight.
- Being gay is not a perversion.
- Homosexuals are not pedophiles seeking to rape your boys.
- Homosexuality is actually seen in nature all the time. (Visit the Giraffes at Busch Gardens. They are all boys. Very horny boy giraffes.)
- Homosexuals do not recruit. It isn’t a club. You don’t get points.
For more myths about homosexuality you can visit the Southern Family Law Center, Ya’ll.
If you need help or support because you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trangendered please remember that helps is out there. I love you. You are loved and things will get better.
- PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gay
- GLAAD: Gays & Lesbians Alliance Against Defamation